"We write to taste life twice - once in the moment and in introspection."

Friday, July 9, 2010

I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Ice Cream Bucket Covers

As I commented on http://www.raisinghomemakers.com/ , I'm now posting instructions for a simple ice cream bucket cover.  These are made for the buckets that are 1 gallon plus 1 quart size.  Here's a photo of my yo-yo making bucket.

To make the cover, I cut a paper pattern circle that is 23.5 inches in diameter.  The simple way to do that is to tie string to a pencil, measure the string at 11.75 inches.  Tack or hold the end of the string in the center of your piece of paper and, holding the pencil vertically straight and keeping the string taut, draw a circle.  Actually, I only drew half a circle, since I planned to cut the fabric on the fold.



Two inches from the center edges, mark your pattern for 1/2 inch buttonholes for the handles to fit through.




Pin the pattern to your fabric and cut (on the fold, in my case).  Mark where you'll put your buttonholes.
Sew and cut your button holes.
Sew a 1/2 inch hem/casing all the way around, leaving an opening of about 1 inch to insert draw string.  Don't worry if this hem/casing is not pretty or is crumpled because it's going to be gathered and crumpled anyhow and it's awfully hard to make a circular hem.
Cut 30 inches of yard or string and, using a safety pin, thread it through your hem/casing.
Position the bucket in the center of the circle, draw the fabric up over the bucket and put the handles through the buttonholes reattaching them to the bucket. 
Draw the string tightly over the top of the bucket.  It will overlap the edge of the bucket about an inch.  Tie in a knot with a bow also, if you like.  Trim off extra string.  Arrange gathers evenly and viola! a pretty bucket!

Because making my home organized and beautiful is imitating the Creator, I
Wannabegodly

2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh! What a great idea. So stinking cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I've even used a couple of these for salad bowls when serving a lot of people Taco Salad. I hope you get to try it.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?