"We write to taste life twice - once in the moment and in introspection."

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Words of Wisdom

I'm not sure how wise these words were, but I just can't resist posting them.  And since I am a "Woverine" (Michigander) I am allowed to get a chuckle out of this.

From the Davy Crockett Almanac:
The chaps from the Wolverine state, are the all-greediest, ugliest, an sourest characters on all Uncle Sam's twenty-six farms, they are, in thar natur, like their wolfish namesakes, always so etarnal hungry that they bite at the air, and hang their underlips, and show the harrow teeth of their mouths, as if they'd jump right into you, an swaller you hull, without salt.  They are, in fact, half wolf, half man, and 'tother half saw mill.  I met a wolverine one day in the forest, who had just swallowed a buck, an that war only enough to start his appetite, an make him al ravenous; he turned up his eyes at me, an opened his arthquake jaws as if he war going to chop off my head without axin.  I chucked a lamb or two at him but it war no more use than a hoss-fly to a buzzard.  "Mr. Wolverine," says I, "you stare at me with a reg'lar cannibal grin, but darn me, if you mustn't fight before you can bite; my name's Crockett, an I'm an airthquake, and if the critter didn't draw up his under-lip, and fall to eaten off the bark of a tree, while his eyes watered along with his mouth, then take my whiskers for wolf skins.
There; don't that just make yer day?!

2 comments:

  1. Pretty funny. I'm wondering what the context was, and can't remember who Crockett's contemporaries were. . . was he referring to Michiganians as fighters or just in general?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not having read the book in quite a few years, I don't remember exactly the context, but I believe that he was talking about them mostly as fighters when they came to join the fight with General Andrew Jackson in Florida against the Indians.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?