"We write to taste life twice - once in the moment and in introspection."

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Thanksgiving Notebook

I've had such a blessed time this morning, while the older girls were out hunting with their dad, doing some Thanksgiving preparations with the younger two.  While the girls painted the Pilgrim salt and pepper shakers and pumpkin napkin rings,


I worked on the Thanksgiving blessing notes of which I'd written yesterday. Many of them go along with the Thanksgiving wallhanging which I explained yesterday also. We had several years' worth of notes jumbled in a box, so I sorted them chronologically as best I could and began gluing them into a regular old composition notebook with spray adhesive (a sticky messy job best done on an old sheet).  It was a delight to read the old papers and to chuckle at the spellings of younger children.  I wrote in a few stories of what was going on at the time, to explain some of the blessings and for future generations to enjoy.


Then, still using the spray adhesive as well as the hot glue gun, I covered the notebook with fabric and glued yellow cardstock to the insides of the covers to cover up the fabric edges.



It all ended up using quite a few pages (I told you yesterday that we're much blessed!), so this notebook might have to soon be joined by another.  The more the merrier!

I believe this is a very valuable use of time and a little money because we are commanded many times in the Bible to give thanks, to count our blessings, to remember what great things (and little things) God has done for us.  It also lifts our spirits to get our minds onto the good things.  As Elisabeth Elliot puts it, "We accept and thank God for what is given, not allowing the not-given to spoil it."

Much blessed, I
Wannabegodly

2 comments:

  1. What a creative way to express and instill thankfulness in your children! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I think I shall have to do this with our children, though they made their own thank-you notes and glued them to turkeys they also made.

    God bless you,
    Mrs. Q

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?