"We write to taste life twice - once in the moment and in introspection."

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Advent Activities - Days 6 & 7

I got to thinking that, just in case anybody actually wants to do some of the advent activities we're doing, I should post them a day or two ahead of when they would be done so you could prepare for them. So I'm now posting days 6 and 7.

Day 6 card (tucked into Psalm 19) will read:
God gives us the gift of His word. Psalm 19:7-11
Activity:  To remind us of the sweetness of God's law, today we will bake Jesus' birthday cupcakes. 
*(Into six of the cupcakes we have baked foil-wrapped slips of paper which say things like "Present Passing Pal," "Turn on tree lights," "Turn on window/outdoor lights," "Put first ornament on tree," "Put star on treetop," "Pass out the stockings." Each of our six children get one of these cupcakes in which is hidden their privilege for the season.)*

Day 7 card (tucked into John 3) will say:
God gives us the most precious gift of His Son, Jesus.  John 3:16-17
Activity:  Through God's giving up His Son for us, he has given us so many gifts. Jesus is our Salvation, our Redeemer, our Master or Lord, our Friend and He is our only comfort and hope. From now till Christmas Eve, our advent will focus on some of the names given to Jesus so we can see what a wonderful gift He is. Today we will set out the two youngest girls' nativity sets. 
*(We have given each child their own nativity set throughout the years since we have wanted our decorations and thoughts to be primarily about the true meaning and event of Christmas.)*

While I'm doing these posts, I also want to show you some of our special decorations and share some favorite recipes, so today I'll share this wallhanging which I put together last year.

The story behind this is special to me. You see, my mom made the center crewel work years ago and just never got it framed. She asked if I'd like it, which of course I did, so I brought it home to think of what to do with it. I "just happened" to be doing a star themed Block of the Month at the local quilt shop with Thimbleberries fabric which "just happened" to go perfectly with the colors in Mom's crewel. So they came together in a very happy union with a four embroidery blocks of "Wonderful Counselor," "Mighty God," "Everlasting Father," and "Prince of Peace" added to the mix. I hand-quilted it and it now hangs in our dining room.

Because of His precious gift of love, I
Wannabegodly

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?