"We write to taste life twice - once in the moment and in introspection."

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Blessing of A Grand-person

Since my mom lives so far away, Dad is with the Lord as is my dear mother-in-love and my father-in-love is also far away, our family is so thankful that my aunt lives nearby and fills the role of grand-person. She was a missionary schoolteacher to the Navajo people and when she retired, we asked that she come live near us so we could "take care of her in her old age." Well, she's done so much to bless us that we feel more like she's taking care of us. Every Monday evening for the past 12+ years she's come over for dinner, bringing one of her world-class pies (I blame my weight on her!) and we've had delightful visits with her. On Thursday afternoons we go to her apartment and have a snack time and pop in and out from music lessons so children don't have to stay at the music studio for too many hours waiting for siblings. Aunt Barb will turn 80 this fall, but she's still very active, especially in her church, helping in various, often unseen ways that are a good example for us. We thank God for the relative good health she has and ask that He will be preparing us for the time when her health is not so good and we need to step into a greater degree of servanthood for her. We know He has taught us much through Aunt Barb and will continue to use her in our spiritual growth, hopefully for many more years. :)

Yesterday she came, bringing Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie, during the day, because foul weather was expected for the evening. She very patiently spent probably an hour working with the Peanut Pixie-face on her reading and numbers. It was both inspiring and funny to listen to them working together. Aunt Barb was so patient when Peanut was not exactly keeping her mind on things, but at one point I had to laugh as Aunt Barb commented, "I remember now why I retired."



I have to show you this lovely doll quilt she made for the Peanut for Christmas. So cute!

Because Aunt Barb was doing my work and the other girls were doing their independent studies, I was able to machine quilt some more on this quickie summer quilt I pieced for the Princess. She just turned 13 and loves Cicely Mary Barker's Flower Fairies and has learned a lot about wildflowers from her book, The Complete Book of the Flower Fairies. For the quilt, I had purchased some remnants of the Flower Fairy fabric. So I just made some colorful borders around the fairy blocks, added a wide border that looks like a fairy garden around the outside and am quilting it onto a blue gingham flannel with no batting. It's rather simple and quick, which is what we needed right now.
 I still have some meander quilting to do in the flower border and then the binding, but that shouldn't take too long.


Once again, I am much blessed, so I
Wannabegodly

1 comment:

  1. How lovely to have someone like Aunt Barb to bless and be blessed by! The doll quilt she made is so sweet, and the quilt you are working on is gorgeous!
    lv,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?