"We write to taste life twice - once in the moment and in introspection."

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Lapbooking Fun

We've recently discovered the fun and benefit of lapbooking. I'm impressed by how much 6yo Peanut Pixie-face remembers of our studies of Ancient Egypt, mostly because of her lapbooking and enjoying rereading her lapbook and showing Daddy and Aunt Barb her lapbook and anybody else who would sit still long enough. Unfortunately, we didn't really do lapbooks or notebooks when we studies Ancient Rome, so she doesn't remember as much. Oh, well, the plan is to repeat those studies at a deeper level in about four years, so we'll do it then.


We also learned much about insects while doing lapbooks on an alphabetical listing of insects to study. We used this study as a review of the alphabet as well as our science studies. The forms as well as lessons plans for this study came from http://www.lapbooklessons.com/ . I just hope they get the whole series finished soon. Of course, I could go on on my own, but it just hasn't happened yet.

So yesterday I spent a lot of time (slow computer) printing up form and plans for lapbooking our current studies of the Middle Ages. I think we'll have fun using them. I got a unit study from http://www.homeschoolshare.com/ on Robin Hood as well as ones on knights and vikings. They have little lapbooking booklets to print off and easily fill out and put in your lapbook (or notebook for the older kids).

I've found that printing on cardstock, both white and colored, adds some sturdiness to the booklets so they don't get crumpled as little hands enjoy their books over and over. Also a friend gave us a helpful book called The Ultimate Lap Book Handbook which we use for reference and booklet ideas. I am reminded now that I need to make more use of it!

I encourage you to give this a try; maybe start with a lapbook on one of the aforementioned websites. I think you find it fun and very beneficial for retention and review.

Motivated to do better, I
Wannabegodly

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?