"We write to taste life twice - once in the moment and in introspection."

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Letting the Little Ones Help

Being a naturally impatient person, I don't always let my younger children "help" as much as I should, but when I do, I find that I grow in patience, which is what I should always be seeking to do. So that is one of the many benefits of including the young ones in the work.

Some of the other benefits include:
*developing a closer relationship,
*learning to laugh together even about things that might want to frustrate you,
*teaching the child a new skill,
*getting to praise your child for following instructions,
*being forced to actually wash the kitchen floor since you've made such a mess on it that you can't ignore that job any more,
*the child discovers a new interest to pursue more fully now or when she's older and a chance to learn a different way of doing or thinking which your child may bring out.

I love the way that Rachel Jankovic describes this in her new book, Loving the Little Years. I so enjoyed this book even though most of my children are past the "little" years. The book is so full of humor, wisdom beyond Mrs. Jankovic's years and creativity that I plan to buy a copy for each of my children. It is a quick read and the chapters are short, but so full that one chapter leaves plenty for meditation. A nice length for those who are in the trenches and unable to sit down for a long read. Well worth the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?