"We write to taste life twice - once in the moment and in introspection."

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Spring Cleaning and Organizing!

We have been extra occupied around here. Bookwork kind of studies has been shoved to the background and we've been working on "home economics". It's spring cleaning time!

Some people start their spring cleaning a lot earlier than we do, but I wait till the weather is warm enough that we can open up the house, especially if we have painting and carpet shampooing to do. Here in Michigan, that can come rather late.

I made up a list of things that need deep cleaning or things that only need cleaning once or twice a year and then divided that out into a week's worth of days and subdivided it by who would do each job. I love using the charts and forms on my computer for this preparation. So one of the older girls gets to wash all the windows outside, climbing ladder and all, whereas a younger girl can do the insides of the windows. An older girl helps with painting or touching up scratched up paint (I'm sure that never happens at anybody else's home).

So this year, the bigger bathroom was in great need of repainting and the rock floor and wall around our woodstove needed watersealing to make the color come out again and make it shinier. Those jobs are now done, too, but we might add another coat of the waterseal because it just got so absorbed even with three coats.

As part of the whole job, I've been decluttering, organizing and trying to set the house up so the work flows more easily (ergonomically). I really like how the laundry area looks now. Sweetie and I put up the shelf (it really wasn't a hard job) and the hanging rod is just a shower curtain rod. The drawers are for our folded laundry till we take it all up to closets. This set-up enables us to do the folding right on the washer and dryer instead of carting it to the dining room table and then being in the way of some people who are already getting at their studies.



Something else I've been doing with this year's spring cleaning is cleaning up the UFOs (UnFinished Objects), or WIPs (Works in Progress), that I've had gathering in the scarily messy quiltery. The mending mountain is now down to a little hill and that feels good. Precious helped me make some cute play/everyday outfits for the younger girls. We made three sets, but only caught two for the picture. We have more in the works as well as some skirts for the older girls that I'll show you as soon as we get them done. As I've shown in previous posts, I finished the church wallhangings and they are actually hanging in the church basement as of Sunday. We're also getting ready for a family reunion next week. My sister and her family whom we haven't seen in several years since they live overseas will be here, too.

And my wonderful son will be home from college for a little while before he's off to work in the oilfields again for the summer. Fortunately it looks like he'll be working on the same rig that Dear Hubby is on.

Today is piano lesson rescheduled and then tonight is the recital. Many nervous young ladies here. :)

As always, I
Wannabegodly

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your kind comments on my blog this week. Yes, I am in Michigan, born and raised. Currently we live in Portage, just south of Kalamazoo. It's so fun to find "neighbors". Have a great day today, blessings!

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?