"We write to taste life twice - once in the moment and in introspection."

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Lessons in Spray-painting

I have a quick project to show today and a few pointers about spray painting that I learned the hard way (the way I usually learn, it seems) in hopes that you won't have to learn them the hard way.

My first spray painting project was to paint five boxes a pretty aqua so I can use them to more prettily organize my fabric strips.

I had the boxes already collected, so I just had to cut off the top flaps and then get at the painting.

These particular boxes have a waxy coating, so, though it may not have been necessary, I sprayed on a coat of primer. That dried quickly and I was able to spray on the pretty aqua (Krylon Blue Ocean Breeze).

Now I have pretty grass, too.



Lesson #1: Wear gloves.
Lesson #1a: Not cheap disposable gloves. They tear.

Indoor/outdoor "exceptionally smooth and durable paint" doesn't wash off. It takes forever to wear off. Fingernail polish remover takes a lot of it off, but smears it around a lot, too.

Lesson #2: Wear long sleeves or very long gloves, for the above-mentioned reasons.

Lesson #3: Position yourself upwind of the item you're spraying. Also for the above-mentioned reasons.

Lesson #4: Don't leave your cardboard boxes out for the heavy Michigan dew to ruin. Fortunately, I learned this one before damage was done.

Now for the finished product:


The labels were a simple computer project and were attached with brads. I'd show you a whole row of these on my shelf looking so nice and organized, but I ran out of brads, so will need to get more first.

So, instead, I'll show you my other spray painting project:

I was tickled to find this sturdy wooden table at the Salvation Army thrift store. (It was quite a job to fit it into my already full car, but I persevered!) It was painted an ok white, but I had also found a smaller black table, so I wanted them to match (and hopefully not show dirt so much). So here it is, looking happy in our very foggy backyard. 

I have dreams of setting up little reading areas in our yard for our in-house (or I should say in-yard) summer reading program. This will be one of them. I show them to you as I get them set up.

I hope you're having fun setting up place of order and beauty!






2 comments:

  1. The boxes look great, wonderful idea and gloves are always handy when painting :) Thanks for sharing.
    Quilting at the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous ideas which you share above. These boxes really amazing and in this situation you use gloves is really better. I like this painting.

    bollard sleeve

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?