"We write to taste life twice - once in the moment and in introspection."

Thursday, June 7, 2012

1000 Gifts



I have finally joined the many people who are singing the praises of the book One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. 


I think the naked, poetic way that she writes is perfect for the content, though several times it caused me to have to reread a line, to make sure I'd caught what she was saying and hadn't missed a word or something like that.

Mostly the book opened my eyes to see how many gifts we have all about us from the tiny taken-for-granted things like the sun filtering through the leaves of the tree outside the dining room causing speckles of light to dapple the dining room table to giving thanks that we've been protected from injury in a car accident or the medical tests show we're cancer-free. So, yes, I have started my list of one thousand gifts.

Our heart-eyes come with lenses, and we can choose which ones we wear.  We can wear the ones which see all the pain and irritances always, or we can choose the ones which are more rose-colored. That's not to say that we don't see and deal with the pains and the things that irritate us, but that we don't live constantly dwelling on how miserable we are. Seeing the things for which we can be thankful and reveling in the many gifts God showers on us changes our perspective, changes the lens through which we view life and God.

I love how she repeats several times "Eucharisteo (thanksgiving) always precedes the miracle," and sometimes that miracle is the recreation of my heart, my perspective, my attitude. I wish I had read her book at the beginning of the year, when I was starting my read-through-the-Bible in a year plan because I'm now already almost half-way through the Bible and I'm thinking that I want to start underlining all the times we're told to give thanks or given examples of giving thanks. Next year.

There are a few things in the book that make me uncomfortable, like having communion as a group of ladies at a Bible study since I believe that communion is a function of the whole church body, but the lessons to be learned as she writes about that far overshadow the discomfort.

I plan to buy this book for each of my children and heartily urge that you read it. At the very least, listing the very many blessings our heavenly Father showers on us.

2 comments:

  1. I just finished this book yesterday, and it has spoken to my heart in incredible ways. Very thankful for Ann's honesty about her pain and how God brought her through to a life of thankfulness. Now I want to re-read it because I'm sure I'm missed/forgotten some of the lessons. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I want to re-read, this time with a copy of my own instead of a library book, and with high-lighter at the ready.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?