"We write to taste life twice - once in the moment and in introspection."

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Outdoor Hour Challenge - Maple Tree


Normally (if there is any normalcy around here) we do our nature studies on Saturdays to best make use of the most recent Outdoor Hour Challenge which is posted on Fridays.

But this afternoon was so lovely and we were a little behind in our Challenges anyhow, so we picked up our nature journals and headed for the yard. 

The focus for this month is on trees and we are blessed to be surrounded by them and get to enjoy them a lot.

We decided to start our observations with maple trees as they are our favorites, especially at this time of the year, and we have quite a few near the house. And we had real maple syrup for breakfast.

Leaf rubbings are always a good way to observe the leaves of a tree, so we grabbed a few of them and went at it, removing the caterpillar first.





Some of us enjoy writing more than others, so some got a little more verbose, while some wrote almost nothing. I'm hoping to encourage a little more writing slowly but surely.


I'm also hoping to add in doing some notebooking pages in a separate notebook/binder since Barb at the Outdoor Hour Challenge has some very nice pages available. We're really just beginners at this whole nature journalling thing, but I think we all enjoy it pretty well.

It's such a great time of getting us outside and enjoying God's wonderful creation. As I copied into my journal:

There's not a plant or flow'r below but makes Thy glories known;
And clouds arise and tempests blow by order from Thy throne,
While all that borrows life from Thee is ever in Thy care,
And ev'rywhere that man can be, Thou, God, art present there.
                                            by Isaac Watts

Measuring the girth of the big front yard maple.

Enjoy God's beauty!
 
 
 
 


 







3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your maple tree entry with the OHC Carnival. It is so interesting to see how each family makes their tree study their own.

    I was thinking as I looked at your entry that when you make a rubbing you really get to smell the leaf as well....I forget about that sometimes. It is a wonderful way to record your maple in your nature journal.

    Thanks again. Pinning to my Me and My Tree Board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have binder upon binder in my attic of my children's nature studies and writing, you name it :-) What a blessing to homeschool, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love leaf rubbings. They're just always fun to do, it seems, no matter what age. :)

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?