"We write to taste life twice - once in the moment and in introspection."

Monday, January 21, 2013

Healthy, Filling Breakfast Smoothie

In my effort to eat real, whole foods and get more fit, I was happy to find a recipe in a Reader's Digest for a "Fast Release Shake" from the "Digest Diet." I don't know anything more about the diet except for the soup recipe that was also in that magazine, but I sure have come to like this smoothie/shake, so I'll share it here.

In blender, mix till frothy:
3/4 c. (6 oz.) nonfat yogurt
1/4 c. light coconut milk
3 T nonfat milk powder (I confess I skip this and put in a slop of real milk.)
8 strawberries, fresh or frozen
1 T. flaxseed meal (I keep flax seeds in the freezer and periodically grind some in my coffee grinder.)
1 T. natural peanut butter
2 tsp. honey (When I ran out of honey, I substituted agave nectar.)
1/2 t. vanilla

You can also add one or both of the following:
1 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 - 1/3 c. blueberries

This keeps me quite full and energized throughout the morning.

Give it a try; you might like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?