"We write to taste life twice - once in the moment and in introspection."

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Nature Study - Herbs - Alfalfa

The "Father of all Foods" is the herb of the week - Alfalfa. So good for so much!




Alfalfa is the king of plants because it is extremely rich in vitamins and minerals. It is high in calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, sulfur, other minerals and eight amino acids. It has the highest chlorophyll content of any plant and can prevent and repair tooth decay.

Thus armed, we are back into sprouting and started both alfalfa and mung beans today.


I'm investigating getting more sprouting jar lids from Sprout People so I can keep a steady supply of sprouts available.

I plan to use the alfalfa in wraps, sandwiches, salads, and as soup garnishes. I want to try them in smoothies, too, but only if I can make sure no "stringies" remain. That could feel like trying to swallow a hair. Not good. 

I have used dried alfalfa to make a tea for respiratory problems, especially allergies. It has also been used to help anemia, digestion, gout, morning sickness, and quite a few other ailments. Given its many vitamins and minerals, it's no wonder that it is so widely effective.

I hope you give herbs a try.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for linking this great information about Alfalfa up at WholeHearted Home this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've wanted to try sprouting alfalfa and other herbs. Now would be a great time to start. Thank you for sharing on Eco Kids, and I'm featuring this.

    I pinned it too: http://pinterest.com/pin/48554502204632047/

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?