"We write to taste life twice - once in the moment and in introspection."

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Summer "School" & Projects


It's too beautiful of a day to stay in the house, so while Lovey takes some of the girls to music lessons, car shopping, and checking into a volunteering opportunity, Princess, and Peanut, and I are doing summer "school" outside. It's a rough life.


Chai tea, lattes, water, cherry pie, and kitten antics accompany our reading, spelling, penmanship, and drawing while also enjoying the new fountain garden.



I also want to show you some of the sewing projects I've been working on.

I really love all the color and movement and fun in this little baby quilt. I cut the pieces for this quite a while ago while cleaning up scraps. As I was cutting, I also made up another kit of this in pinks. So I get to work on another one of these as I wish. I'll probably put this one in my "granny hope chest" for a future grandbaby. Not sure yet how or when it will be quilted since quilting money is being used for wedding and graduation quilts these days.

 Speaking of graduation quilts, this one is a little late at getting done for my niece, but all I have to do now is the binding and label. I like the swirly quilting to go with the kinda wild purplish blocks.

Another quick and fun project lately has been making some pillowcases. Precious likes to sleep with lots of pillows all around her and she doesn't have enough pillowcases to complete her two sets of sheets. So I've been having fun making these quick projects. Yes, the purple, swirly, wild stuff is left over from the above quilt.



And after the studies are done, we relax to write the Great American Novel, play a few Ipod games, and blog.

Hope your day is beautiful!


Addendum: I just discovered the Christmas Quilt-along, so will be linking up there and hopefully joining in next month.

Needle, Thread, Happiness




6 comments:

  1. Love the lazy days of summer routines :) As long as it is not too hot! The scrappy pinwheel quilt is gorgeous - did you make the pattern up yourself? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't make up that pattern. I wish I were that creative! It came from the February 2012 edition of American Patchwork & Quilting.

      Delete
  2. I saved that issue hoping maybe to make this one day. Your version is beautiful. It looks so nice in your yard. You must not be in the South though, or I don't think you could be homeschooling out there without melting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that scrappy baby quilt. I bookmarked the pattern in that issue of BHG American Patchwork & Quilting. Hope I can make it soon. Enjoy those lazy summer days, they pass all too quickly, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello. I'll look forward to getting to know you more at next month's Christmas Quiltalong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that baby quilt! It's wonderful! :0)

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?