"We write to taste life twice - once in the moment and in introspection."

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Back to Home School

Well, we've mostly started school again, with the providential science lesson of our monarch butterfly "hatching" out of the chrysalis. Roo had found the caterpillar on a milkweed leaf and we'd kept it in a jar with lots of holes in the lid. It was fed milkweed leaves and it did what caterpillars do best - eat and poop. After a day or two, it climbed up onto the lid, spun a little grip, and hung there for awhile till it split and turned into a rather pretty green chrysalis.



It turns out that the chrysalis isn't green; it's clear, as we noticed when it turned orange and black just before it split open to let the butterfly out.
We enjoyed watching the butterfly's abdomen shrink and the floppy wings look a little more "starched" over a couple of hours' time.

We've collected caterpillars for a gazillion years now and it's always fascinating to me to see how God makes this wonderful metamorphosis. It makes me think of the verse that says that if we are in Christ, we are a new creature - we have metamorphosized into a new creature in Him.

Another fun thing about our new school year is that I figured out how to make very useable and simple assignment books/planners for the three youngest. Here's how they look:

 I had made the assignment sheets in Excel and printed up a bunch of copies. We miss some days of studying for music or speech or other studies or doctor visits and sometimes we do some studies on Saturday, so it's hard to estimate how many pages to make, but I made about 120 pages. I may change that next year.

Then I took the stacks of papers to Staples and had them cut them in half, laminate the covers, and comb-bind them. I had thought to have them spiral bound, but said the wrong word. Oh, well. They work just fine anyhow. And it all didn't cost very much at all. It was about $23 for all three.

So, I'm going to make a teacher's planner for me. Quite a few forms and beautiful covers can be found here:
tina's dynamic homeschool, but I think I'll still make my own personalized forms. They're not as fancy as hers, but they meet my needs better. And hopefully I'll remember to say "spiral binding" for mine.

How's the start of your school year going?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?