"We write to taste life twice - once in the moment and in introspection."

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Why Am I Doing This?

The alarm sounds and I roll over to turn it off. In the early morning darkness I squint at the clock, contemplating resetting it so I can sleep longer. Feeling guilty, I flop back onto the pillow, groaning to myself and wondering why I'm getting up so early.


It's not like I have to make sure children are on a school bus at a certain time. It's not like I have to be at the office at a certain time. With the type of employment my husband has, I don't even have to make a breakfast and lunch for him by a certain time. WHY AM I HAVING TO WAKE UP NOW?

Oh. Yeah. I'm a homeschooling mother of six, five of whom are still at home. They need breakfast at some point and then they need some teaching, training, more feeding, help with music practices, driving to music lessons, taking to the doctor for ongoing medical help, reminders to finish their work, hugs and kisses, clean bathrooms, math papers checked, grammar corrected...blah, blah, blah.

And before I get to all that, I need to get my head and heart screwed on straight.

Therefore the early wake-up time.

Because you can't give what you don't have.


So the day starts early with some exercise time to help get the body going and the mind somewhat clear. And then comes time in the Word and in prayer and in helpful books like
Educating the Wholehearted Child  because I certainly can't do anything on my own and everything I do needs to line up with what God's Word says - serving a God I must know intimately and following His orders closely. And far too often I fail at it all.

Then I'm more likely to greet the girls cheerfully as they filter into the kitchen when they wake up. And I'm more likely to not be overwhelmed by all that comes with the monumental task of homeschooling for the glory of God. And I'm more likely to do it for the glory of God instead of to prove how good I am, or to match up to some arbitrary educational standard, or to show the world how smart my kids are, or...whatever reason.


When the dull days of winter are on us, this post reminds me that I'm not alone and there are some ideas to vary things up a little. It also does me good to remember why we're travelling this homeschooling road. So I pull out my personal pep talk of educational goals and vision. Here's part of it:

Our children should be equipped to serve God in a variety of situations with a variety of peoples. Therefore this is why we do the following:

  • They should know history and worldview to keep from repeating the old wrong ways or being duped by supposedly new ways of thinking. They can also see end results of foolish or rebellious attitudes and actions from seeing what became of those who espoused such thinking and actions.
  • Our children should study math to better know a God of order, for personal accounting and figuring, and for logical thought processes.
  • They need to know how to write well and comfortably and properly use their native language for clear communication to others as well as in order to have clear and logical thinking for themselves.
  • These students of ours need to know story, both true and fictional, in order to have a more abundant, colorful, and understanding life. They should be steeped in good literature.
  • They should learn a foreign language for understanding other cultures, understanding better their own language, but primarily for ministering to others. Sometimes this one is difficult to come by, but it can be done.
  • They should have a deep respect for and understanding of nature and other aspects of science through the lens of an Almighty Creator of all. The wonder of God's amazing and diverse creation should be fostered all our lives.
And I get to be the guide into all these wondrous gateways for my children!

And I get to think up creative ways to keep them interested when we're all dragging because we haven't seen the sun in three weeks, or when we've just been trying to fit too much into our days.



I get to open their eyes to the thrill of reading, to the intricacies of God's creation,

to the hilarity of words that work so well together,

to understanding what led up to certain actions and events,

to knowing that God had His hand in all the acts of man and will continue to hold His children in His powerful hands.

And I get to know that I'm obeying Deuteronomy 6:6-9 in the doing of all this. And I get to know that as I step forward in obedience, or get out of the bed in obedience, He will strengthen me for the task.


Even in the long, dark, discouraging days, like in November and February.

Press on!



Linked up to: http://www.weirdunsocializedhomeschoolers.com/  http://www.raising homemakers.com

http://teachinggoodthings.com/blog/teaching-good-things-tuesdays-link-up-party-111213/



1 comment:

  1. That last picture evokes such awe.

    Thank you for sharing the importance of filling your own well first. I've been hearing a lot of "burn-out" conversations from others lately, and it's always the first thing I suggest when they're looking for a solution. You truly cannot give what you do not have. So, so true. Thanks for the reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?