"We write to taste life twice - once in the moment and in introspection."

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Musing on the End of This Life

Funerals have a way of making one think.



During the funeral of an older lady yesterday, the pastor was telling the story of an old man whose wife was just being ushered into the presence of her God. The grieving husband told his pastor,

I know more people in heaven than I know here on earth.


I'm sure that's the case for many older people whose family members and friends have passed on from this life to the next.

In one sense, I don't think I want to be able to say that.




I don't mean that I want to die before my family members or friends do.



I mean that I want to keep making friends here on earth 
of much younger ages than I so that I still know lots of people here on earth, too.


I'm sure this is more easily said than done because friendships are usually built on common likes, dislikes, and interests, and I'm sure that people who are 20-40 or 60 years younger than I will have vastly different interests than I will. So, I'll have to cultivate different interests. And I'll have to make my interests look appealing to younger people.


I don't desire to do this purely for selfish reasons, (See how many friends I have!), though that is a factor - I don't want to be lonely. (Note to self: while I'm only 54, I must cultivate friendships with older people so they're not lonely and so I can grow through them.)

But we do know that older people can add so much to our lives if we're open to them. And I want to add to others' lives. I want to "love them to Jesus," as a friend of mine put it.


And then go to the wonderful communion of saints with my Lord.



1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful. Thank you for sharing these soulful sentiments on the Art of Home-Making Mondays!

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?